Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, April 26, 2010

Homeschooling: ?

So we homeschool. Yep, we b freaks of nature who people stare at when I parade into Wally World with my peeps at 10 am on a weekday morning....but we like it. I'm surprised to say this. I like homeschooling. (waiting to see if a bus runs me over...nope, I'm good)

The one thing I've noticed is how different homeschool is from public school. The whole outcome is completely different. The whole curriculum feels different. Starting out in the middle of the year (Christmas time) when we embarked on our "following my oil field guy around the US, although we've been in Tejas this entire time so far" journey, I thought it safe to start with a set. I spent quite a bit and purchased full grade appropriate book sets from A Beka for my kids. We started at the beginning for review and have quickly moved to where they are learning new things. Now, having 4 months under my belt I have realized what is working and what is not. So I'm "interviewing" new curriculum, I'll be purchasing piece meal from different companies now. Reading with A Beka is great, Math is okay, History and Science is not enough, there is no Art to speak of. So we're branching out and getting more comfortable with ourselves.

The other difference I've noticed. My kids' vocabulary. They talk using bigger and more educated words. I always pause when my first grader uses a big word in the correct context. Such as telling the dog that "you've lost your car privileges buddy!" Or asking when her next "vaccinations" were, when she used to say shots. My oldest is big on checking out bibliographies from the library, today she was intent on telling me all about how Clara Barton founded the Red Cross and why. I love the confidence that comes with this type of schooling.

However, I'm quickly learning that for all my lesson plans, we're becoming a relaxed homeschooling family. M-S we have school sometime during the day, mixed in with errands such as laundry, groceries, appts, and field trips. We average about 4 to 5 hours a day of schooling but sometimes we are at it still when daddy comes home at 8 pm. Crazy but it is working for us. There are days when I call school altogether, if daddy has an unexpected day off or if someone is sick, but frankly my kids are rocking. They are holding great grades while dealing with much harder school work than they had in public Utah schools. The math levels alone are a grade or two higher than they have been doing but it's so worth it.

Today, Princess wrote a book review on Sunshine Country, did a spelling test on medical terms, worked on fractions, and did read/think comprehensions. Duchess worked on cursive writing, a math review, phonics, reading aloud in her science book, a lesson on baby animals, and is now writing a summary in her own words about baby animals. I can't tell you how much I love seeing them learn at their own pace and gain confidence from that.

It's not perfect though. I often feel like a ringmaster. No kid is dying to start school each day so it's a juggling act. Princess is going through her pre-teen daydreaming stage where I feel like I spend most of my day refocusing her attention but frankly I'm glad that it's my job to do this, I'm glad that I'm their teacher.

That being said, Duchess just misspelt her last name so I should get back to work. She swears it was just a sloppy letter but frankly it looks completely wrong. See, I'm telling it how it is around here. A circus.


** on a side note: found some amazing supplimental and/or homeschool sites to help:
Spelling: Spelling City - free
Notebookingpages.com - free writing sheets for primary or regular school work
zoodles - fun 1st grade math games
edhelper.com - 19.99 a YEAR and it has all the school work you could ever dream of

will add more as I come across the gems