Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Music In Me:

My life is like one big musical. I blame West Side Story and Grease for setting my life to music. Both were seen at an early age when I was learning that I had to keep everything on the inside because the outside had to meet expectations. So I bottled and I bottled well. So music was my outlet. It wsn't until I burst free from expectations and became "me" that I realized how much music meant to me.

So I go through stages. Hard rock, classical, christian, oldies, punk, alternative, country...you name it, I go through it each year. But since I'm trying to let the Lord run my life I'm working on listening to more appropriate music, so far oldies and Christian music are the only things that meet those requirements.

However, today I met a brand new genre. My kids are truly the music in me. I'm so very proud of them and their accomplishments. In a world focused on getting ahead and the "me" factor, Dave and I wanted to raise our girls to think of others first. So we have incorporated a service factor into their homeschooling. Since we travel alot we have to look for areas where we can serve others in a short term capacity. Luckily here in this area, we found a nursing home where my kids go one morning a week to paint nails, give hand manicures and color with those residents in line. Watching them interacting with seniors in this long term facility makes my heart soars.

Duchess coloring with her "friends" while Princess and I paint nails. The way they wake up and are sooooooo ready to go, getting dressed ahead of time. The way they run to the front door when we get there. The way we drop our stuff and they head off in opposite directions to gather up their favorites, who await them in their rooms cause they love having the kids come hunt them down and driving them to the activity room. They know their names. It makes my heart sing to see them put themselves out there for others. And when we leave this area and move on, they'll do so knowing that they helped out in some very small little way.

So very proud of my babies