Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Oh the Blessings Just Pile Up

My goal this year is to become a prayer warrior. That is what I want most for my family and friends, to be able to pray for them and bring good things to each one through prayer. That said, prayer can not be the only weapon in your fight against the world. I'm coming to realize that giving is just as important. And boy do I know that people get funny where money is concerned but lately I've noticed something amazing happens whenever I faithfully give: the blessings just pile up.

Oh I haven't won the lottery and I didn't stumble upon a bag of money. But peeps, the Lord provides more than enough for our needs. Going from a two income family to a one income family, well that's amazing to me that we have more than we need.

But this past week, we didn't get a paycheck as Dave was previously in crane school for a week to get his national license. So I left my purse in the car at church as I knew that we didn't get paid or therefore there was no tithing this week. However, church was an amazing feast this week! And when it was time to giving, I felt the urge to run to my car and amazingly enough I did. I left Dave with no word and took off running out the back of the balcony, through the kids services, down the stairs, around the back to my car where I grabbed my purse and headed back. I made it back red faced and gasping for breath which Dave thought was hysterical. And I told him that I hadn't planned on giving as we didn't get a check this week but I felt like we needed to anyway. He said okay and I told him instead of tithing we should give to another fund or even the love gift funds. He was onboard and we swiftly filled out of check and lifted it up for prayer. I felt so much better and than promptly forgot about it.

Work with me, I'm heading somewhere.

So yesterday Carmax called and said the warranty work on Dave's truck was done. Rusted through oil pan on a new truck sucks but we got the truck from North Carolina by the ocean so shouldn't be surprised. So we picked Dave up at 4 and heading into Houston, almost a 2 hour drive. Now this wouldn't be too bad except my car was having issues, so only Dave could drive it.

You see, the driver seat wouldn't move forward after Dave pushed his setting so he could drive it. We have two programed settings. His = lost of leg room and Mine = not a lot of leg room. The seat was stuck in Dave drive mode. So for me to drive it, I had to drive with pillows behind me, reclining back like a ghetto driver so I could reach the pedal...barely seeing over the dashboard.

So off to Houston we go. We finally get there and get his truck. Pay our deductable....and we leave. Dave and Duchess in my car and Me driving with Princess in the truck. We were excellerating onto the freeway during rush traffic when it happened. Something blew on the truck, gun shot blew.......big loud scared me to death blew. So I eased it over on the barely existant shoulder of the onramp. And watched and my car went bye bye....busy watching traffic, Dave hadn't noticed that I'd pulled over.

Needless to say, we got safely out of traffic, reversing carefully along the side until we had extra shoulder room. I almost shot the tow truck driver who appeared out of nowhere at my window but thank goodness for Houston's freeway policy of having tow trucks out during rush hours. Dave made the quickest loop around coming back to me with superman speed. We get the girls carefully bundled in my car and I get my "recline" on and drive my car with him driving the truck behind me back to the dealer. The dealer which was closed. So we had to leave it outside. Dave was furious and more furious I believe cause it happened when me and the kiddo in the truck.

Turns out a hose or two blew off the turbo, the same system they had just repaired. So it's fixed according to a phone call earlier, but we are now negotiating with them to bring the truck to us rather than us go back to them!

And in the midst of all of that, a coworker of Dave's sent me to a small town mechanic for my seat this morning. Where a grouchy old lady at the main desk told me to get comfy cause they were booked solid. 30 minutes later, I was told "fixed, no charge" seems the coworker used to work there and had called a favor in with the owner. Yeah us, I can drive like a normal person again.

The points here I making: that extra and above gift of giving has already repaid itself this week in vehicle problems/solutions ALONE! The truck broke down on the onramp rather than in full out traffic where we could have been hit or injured....the cost is minimal all the way around....

So many blessings! I'm def learning that prayer and giving work together!