Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, January 4, 2010

Oh Hell....

Here we go again. Have I ever mentioned that we are the official redneck southern Griswold family? If we do it, we have to do it the right way...which includes the absolute worst case scenario.

Case in point: we own three vehicles and moved without taking the time to get rid of one. We have his mucho badass diesel truck (is it wrong of me to reeeeeeeeeeeeally like the sound it makes when it growls?) Then we have my little foreign car (a sporty little zippy Infiniti which drives just exactly like my old firebird, FAST!) and last but not least we own our jeepy. A little beat up but completely tough (has to be when I drive in 4 wheel drive, I not gentle) 4x4 jeep. So as you can see, we have a tough time letting go of useful things. So jeepy is resting at the lake house while we figure out what we gonna do there. We are actually tempted to keep it for Princess who'll be a permit driver in 4 short years. I can't think of a better vehicle for her to start learning on......can you?

Anywho, then there is the random horrible hotel room on the trip. The ONE night we got a hotel, it was so bad, we slept on top of the covers and didn't use the tub. Nice. Again, our luck. Vending machine ate our money, the breakfast was all out of date yogurts and cereals, I'm pretty sure the owner was kin to the Bates. Can't prove it though as he was of India descent...

We actually made 1500 miles in 2 days of traveling with two little girls, a scottish terrior, 2 vehicles and my small bladder. Dave has the problem with driving (ask my mother, she has a whole nother theory), he can't simply drive...he must break land speed records. And (knock on wood, or on RV table) he has a perfect driving record. So 85 miles an hour was the typical speed. Oh sweet jesus, watch over me on the road. He actually yells at me for driving only slightly over the speed. Although he always feels bad and is sweet to me afterwards, cause I'm a horribly red crier, he HATES when I cry cause I never cry.

We made it to the lake around midnight on the second day of travel. My motherinlaw had the upstairs 1960's room (complete with all decor, black lights and etc....COOL) ready for us and beds made up for the kiddos. My dog managed to finally learn to play with their dog after a few fights and then I managed to fall down their stairs. Typical me.

We fit 7 family/friend visits into 14 hours one day as well. We spent an average of 2 hours with everyone and it was great. Exhausting but great.

Once we left the lake we visited with Dave's brother/sisterinlaw in OKC for ONE night. I can't begin to tell you how welcomed they made us feel. My sweet SIL not only started me a real hot bath but brought a variety of smell goods and a little bath pillow for me to just soak and read. That was like a pot of gold for me. Too bad we were the worst houseguests in history. 10 minutes upon arriving I was so exhausted I locked the keys in the car. Then we had to postpone dinner while waiting on the auto club peeps. On New Year's Day, thank you JESUS I'm such a good customer, cause it was free. Blessing! While they were opening my car with Dave supervising, Duchess came in from running in the backyard with her shoes covered in cat poop. Yep, she managed to literally visit every room with carpet before we caught up with her. So we all spent the next hour cleaning their carpets of cat poop spots. I was mortified. My BIL/SIL are so freaking laid back and cool....therefore we didn't get the yelling we deserved. If that was not bad enough, the next morning, we realized that my puppy, Murphy had apparently tried eatting from the litterbox as he YAKED cat poop up in a stream of puppy vomit on their carpet by the back door. I am very familiar with their shopvac at this point. Dave made us pack up and leave, before we suddenly got the urge to pull some Cousin Eddie crap.

The drive down was just as fun. One emergency pee stop resulted in Dave running Princess in while Duchess and I waited our turn with Murphy. Princess came out of the door and in a very crowded parking lot, announced to me (40 feet away)..... "that bathroom was ghetto....thank GOD you showed me how to hover when I pee....that was def a hover bathroom". It didn't help that we were in the busiest parking lot in Texas. Thanks baby.

Upon spending most of her memorable childhood in Utah where diversity is NON existant, Duchess announced after church yesterday morning (in the crowded lobby) that "I met a black girl mommy and I told her I'd be her friend cause you said everyone was the same, skin color was the only difference and we could all be friends....and she said I should get cornrows cause my hair is so long!" I seriously needed a hug after that one......she is like a tape recorder. At least she repeated something I consider a good message.

Cause after church at HEB, when I was waiting on her in the bathroom with a line of people behind me waiting their turn, Duchess yells loudly that she was pooping and "I'm gonna give a courtsey flush but that don't mean I'm done......OKAY?" Kill me now. I'm seriously wondering if I have encouraged her to be TOO outspoken.......that's possible huh?

There are seriously times that parenting is a very humbling thing........ask me, cause right now, I'm freaking so humble peeps.

Now I'm gonna go cook my first dinner in our RV. Challenges are cool right?