Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, July 28, 2008

Do You Smell Fish?

The Man and I have been on a Gluten Free quest. Recipes, recipes and more recipes......oh my. So far, the girlies haven't noticed at all that there is no gluten in the house......I'm not saying a word. Plus they still get wonder bread and hotdog buns so I honestly can't see them complain.

So Saturday evening, we had planned a special fish dinner. Now, me and fish? We go one way. Southern fried catfish or fried/boiled/scampi shrimp. That is it. The End.

Except, being GF means opening the door to proteins, lean proteins. Open door, enter fish.

I won't lie and say I wasn't scared. Cause I'm picky and it's not fried. But The Man found this recipe and being a spinach lover, he was ready to try it.

Then we got the call that company was coming.....opps, sorry but we're having grilled fish. Their response, no prob, what can we bring? Oh, seems not everyone is as picky about their fish as me. Okay. Freaks.

It started with tilapia fillets (2 freaking lbs of the stuff) and alot of ingredients that I needed to stock my new kitchen with anyway. Balsamic vinegar? Ohhhhhh yeah, who doesn't keep that on hand. So after a quick trip to the store, I was ready.

We followed a recipe we found off of this woman's incredible site. OMG, I wonder if she needs a new best friend.......cause hi, I'm right here? Can I have cooking lessons too?

So off we went......

Okay this looks great.......(enter fake yum here?) But yeah, the grill is great.......so I had hopes. Plus the topping was smelling and looking so great. I was getting a contact high. (****note for my mother: use of wording "contact high" is soley learned from movies.....I have NEVER used drugs of any kind. I'm the good child. And I really want that pie safe. Waiting till you die just won't work for me. Amen)

So that recipe, yeah baby, look at what came off my grill........I'd show you pictures of it on my pretty square plates, but noone would stop eating to let me.
This challenge is getting run. Next up? Roasting asparagus........heaven help me. I hate asparagus but I'm gonna make myself eat it, cause I'm tired of potatoes.