Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, July 26, 2008

Scouting...

As Fridays go.....this one was not the usual woohoo, let's chill in our yard and relax. Nope, The Man drew a deer in the state drawing. Which means, scouting. Since we are new to this beautiful state, he is going off word of mouth and maps. So we were out looking for deer. Do you ever go scout deer? No? You should......it's fun. Luckily my camera was in my bag, cause as soon as I pulled into the garage, he drug me kicking and screaming to the jeep for a trip. In my work clothes.....but there was Dr. Pepper on ice so I gave in. Plus he brought my book. I love this man to the very bottom of my SOUL.
About two hours into our drive, where we pulled over one for an emergency run through McD's (cause their french fries are the only thing I can eat from there and I was starving) I put my book down and noticed that Duchess had given up the effort. Napping sounded nice. Princess was behind me reading Charlotte's web.
2 hours and 14 minutes into the trip, I started asking "are we there yet", all I got was a smoke break. Sweet. But then seconds later on the road, we spotted our turn off. Off the man highway into the elements. Wow, and what elements they were......
We drove and drove and drove. Passed several Ward get togethers with RV's and such and then the road began to narrow to one lane, the overgrowth was rapid and the signs stated federal land, i.e. hunting land........I had another Dr. Pepper.
Look how utterly happy my man is. He is just tickled pink to be out there. Ahhhhh, smoke break please.

We finally got to the area where I took over driving and he began scouting. There is nothing hotter than a man in the elements, comfortable with nature and totally confident in his abilities. I'm a perve.
Spot the hunk? Anyone want to play? This is the point where I had to use zoom as he wandered a little too far from me and I was getting nervous. But you know how scouting is. The kids got out and kicked rocks, played with some rolli-pollys and avoided the fresh deer poo in the road. I just watched for recently broke out of prision people, cause that is my fear........I was armed. We always carry in the woods and such as snakes and things are frequent sights. So I was the guard on duty. I like to think I'm setting a good example for my girls. Protect yourself at any cost, do not wait on anyone to do it for you. Plus the gun matched my belt.........sweet.
We did pass some visitors along the way........ummm hi, a little far from home aren't you? Cause we were up high in the mountains at this point. I shared my Dr. Pepper and we were able to pass in peace. Duchess and Princess were dropping trail mix out the window at this point, cause they were worried that the poor thing would go hungry.
At this point, I decided it was time to turn around. I left work early on a Friday for this? Seriously, somebody needs to take better care of their beef! How rude. The Man was pleased because we'd already seen several deer at this point.
Did I mention that I was in my work clothes? Pointed toe high heels at that? Well I was....Aren't they awesome, I do love a good shoe. Oh and I was driving? Well I was 4x4-ing most of the time. The road was crap. But at one point, I'm in 3rd, 4x4-ing over this horrible ravine and The Man is in the passenger seat and he just blurts out, "this is totally why I married you!" Ahhhhh, then he goes, "wish you'd do this more often" so I slammed on the breaks and we got out and had us a "come to Jesus" over the fact that I can be classy and still a redneck. He just laughed and pushed me back inside the jeep.

We made it back out to civilization and the girls and I insisted on using a regular bathroom so we stopped at this cute little log cabin to potty and refuel........except I couldn't have anything in the store, so I had three ciggies and another Dr. Pepper.
Then we stopped at a park we found too, to work out the kinks.......except the kink took my camera and took a million pics of me.....the ones of my butt, you will never see. Thank you very much.
On the way home, we amused ourselves the best we could........The Man was in the zone. He was hungry and was determined to find a place where I could eat too.......
Duchess ignored us and played her Disney game.......between the giggles and beeps off that game, some Flogging Molly on the radio and Princess snoring, who could read?
Welcome to The Boonies........