Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, June 4, 2012

Life & Death Experience 14

So last week, my mom showed up and the kids/I decided that while it was still pretty chilly we wanted to at least get one river run in before our move. So we grabbed my C girl and her teen daughter, my mom and off we went. We had the entire river to ourselves. The river runs through town, literally. So we suited up, sorta. Everyone wore some combination of swim wear and shorts with most in flip flops while I was the only one in sneakers. I am a genius!

So we hit the river and got a double and a quad tube then walked it to the first entry point. The teens went first in the double while the rest of us took the quad. The water was freezing but after the first run, you didn't notice it anymore. It was insane. Fun fun fun.

At the end of the run, you carry your raft back through town to the entry point. We did that ONCE. Then C called her sweet hubby who brought his big ole truck up and would ferry us from exit point to entry point. We made 7 runs in 3 hours.

Duchess was the bomb.com. That kid was all in, squelling with laughter and loving every bit of it. She made every single run. Even after losing both flip flops and having to tip toe between runs. I was so impressed with her.

Princess was hysterical. She was the play it safe girl.

My mom was in her element.

C and I .... well we about died. Seriously. We were the only ones not smart enough to wear life jackets. We had no problems until we took the triple out following my mom and the kids in the quad. As soon as we got back in the river we noticed that it was way rougher. We later found out that they opened the dam upstream causing the rapids to surge.

It went fine until we hit a really rough spot and a quad full of people behind hit it right after us, sending another surge up to flip us. They went right over the top of us. The water was deep enough that I couldn't stand so I was holding the raft with one hand being drug downstream while trying to catch my breath. C was screwed cause she let go of the raft to hold her $500 sunglasses. After I got my footing, I was being drug along in the current while using one hand to hold the raft and the other to search around for C. I found her and got her between me and the raft. Somehow, the clumsiest person on the river wound up being useful and helpful. lol. Seriously, we finally made it downstream. Covered in bruises and scratches. I blew my knee, she busted her foot. We lost hats, glasses and shoes (except my sneakers which saved us cause I was able to shove my feet under some rocks to hold us in place).

Luckily mom had gotten the girls on the quad safely down the river with no problem and they were already out on the bank when they saw our stuff start to float by, so they knew we'd hit trouble.
By the end, I learned that not only do my children have to wear life jackets but mommy has too as well. Overall, I loved it. It was such an adventure and I def learned something valueable from it. ;)


This was right before the "incident"...


Entry points....


Beautiful scenery!


Our taxi ;)


She's having a blast and I'm barely staying in my boat behind her, lol.