Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Wednesday, October 22, 2008

(Mental Eyeroll)

Tonight after making the rush after work trip to pick up Jade before the dealership closed, I remembered that we had literacy night at Duchess' school. Which we thought was a manditory meeting. Whatever. So I met the kids and The Man there.

It was in actuality a meeting for the teachers to laminte that they only had 2.5 hours a day to teach our kindergarteners. Therefore it was to teach us parents how to jump in and assist in our teaching our children.

Sight word practice, every night. Reading (for grades), every night. Working on their names, every night. Sounding out simple words, every night. The list went on. I got a headache. And I realized just how much I miss California, Texas and Louisiana schools. They actually taught my kids. What I did at home was extra work, not "necessary for the development of my child or else they'll be stupid forever" work. OMG! I have to get off this subject before I shake something loose.

Anywho, while listening to my lecture, I mean speech, oh what ever, I noticed that Duchess' classroom was decorated with little paperpeople, decorated in high fashion for Halloween. We completely forgot that they'd sent the paperperson home with instructions to completely dress them (with real clothes!) for fun! And so on the ride home (cause I may have stood up at the 1 hour mark and walked out with my kids) I told Duchess that we would finish hers to take to school.

The instant we step foot in the house, it was on. The kid wouldn't let me get my other shoe off. So we got busy.
Duchess had already "helped" by coloring some of her person and adding a face (with the worse grill I've seen in a long time), so I sacrificed a barbie outfit and got busy.......

What this kid doesn't seem to appreciate is that I DON'T SEW. Ever. I pay people to hem, reattach buttons and so forth. Ripped pants? Toss them. I don't do sewing. So for me to hunt down a kit and actually sew this outfit on this doll is huge.
Now the hard part was hair. I tried to cut some hair off of their dolls for this, but they had a fit. Weenies. So The Man shredded some white rope, and when we ran out of glue? We used spray adhesive that The Man uses when working on cars. Ghetto fabulous.....When the hair was attached, we then weighed it down with my trusty ever-present lotion bottle. (Hey I'm dry!)

Then rather than have me bleed all over the damn thing, The Man jumped in to finish the sewing. Thank you to his grandma and the Navy for teaching him to thread a needle. And come on, really has he ever been more studly than watching him sew a dress on a paperdoll for his precious Duchess?

When it was all said and done?
The Bride of Frankenstein.......appropriate I think, it matches her grill.....
Although Duchess says "she's a Barbie".
You say Po-tat-o, I say Tator.........