Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, May 31, 2010

Robert aka guy with afro

So Saturday morning at the very butt crack of dawn I met Robert at the gym. Robert is young, eager and has an afro....more curls than muscles if that is possible. He also calls me Mrs. *^$%#@*. Nothing cements reaching middle age like a fitness trainer who calls you by your proper married name. It's been forever since I've been called that, nice ring...I like it.

So I get there, and several things of importance happened or didn't happen:

- I managed to get there on time, he was late (unusual for me)

- I didn't throw attitude but meekly followed him to the weights. Seems he and Dave had talked about my aversion (okay, my inability to correctly operate) machines so most of my exercises are being done with free weights

- I didn't drop any weights on my head

- I am a weakling, ranging from 5-15 lb dumbbells depending on the exercise

- He wrote me a list to follow for my solo workouts but they list the exercise by it's offical name: problematic as I nickname things and need stick figure drawings

- During squats, I fell over (yeah you read that right)

- During squats I didn't toot which is what I was SO worried about, yeah me, way to NOT become notorious at the gym

- During a leggie lifty thingy machine attempt, I managed to get stuck in a machine...you sit down, slid a level which drops a leggy thingy and then slide legs in, too complicated for me apparently

- During leg presses, I got pissed off and scolded an old guy who left 45 lb weights on the machine insuring that I couldn't load my measly 15 on there because I couldn't lift the 45 lbs and had to make Robert....RUDE GYM MANNERS you old stinker

- On a leg lift stand, I managed to wobble out 10 reps, slid off only to have an old old old lady jump up there and bang out 50, there is apparently no limits to my shame

- I fell off the exercise ball attempting to do crunches

- Robert began shaking his head sadly ALOT, which makes me think that he's thinking that Dave has stuck him with the worst client on earth

- I forgot to shave under my arms before going to the gym therefore ensuring that I had something to look at during every rep with the arm weights in front of the mirror, ewwwww

- The tiny little teenaged girl at the front desk was wearing the same shirt I was, hers looked ALOT better even if I filled mine out alot more

All in all, I came home sore but happy with the effort and progress I made. My knee hurts but I got mes a brace and I'm looking forward to getting back in there tomorrow. Go me. Now, if only I could get modivated to do my stretches today since the gym is closed. If I don't stretch I'll end up like yesterday where I couldn't lift my arms above my head and my butt was too sore to sit on anything that didn't have some give to it.

Pray that I find the stamina and courage to keep going. I'd really like to nail this whole mentality thing and stay my happy butt in the gym.

And thank you Lord, I only have 3 more sessions with Robert, but then gasp I'm on my own which means Dave takes over. Oh help me Lord.