Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, August 4, 2008

Gluten Free Cooking- Take 1

We're learning the hard way on this whole GF thing. However, I must say I would be a lost babe in the woods without my ready made mixes. These little bags that cost as much as pure gold are saving my bacon. Literally, saving me from a life of eating nothing but bacon....


Attempt 1 at normal eating was GF pancakes. These bad boys come out thick and are much better warm than room temp. But man oh man, everyone raved about them. The kids couldn't tell at all that they weren't wheat products.

This inspired me to get creative......with my own recipe for granola. Which I let cook a little too long cause I was reading the latest JD Robb book. Dang. But still, which chocolate chips and nuts, OMG hello sugar. I seriously went through this pan (with help!) in two days. I've bought dried cranberries for the next batch. Costco granola move over, there's a new sheriff in town.

I'm moving beyond just specific GF foods too. I'm going through my cookbooks and pulling recipes that are naturally gluten free. Like steaks, kabobs, fresh green beans sauted with bacon, asparagus wrapped in bacon....are you seeing a common theme.....toss in bacon and I'm there.

Also, how about some boiled shrimp.....

This was the left overs. Hello love, how are you? I did some serious pigging last night on these bad boys. Then I curled up in bed holding my tummy groaning.....The Man brought in my tummy meds and was all sympathic until I confessed that I just ate too much....then he made me go outside and rake some more. Damn back yard.
Bread is the largest challenge. Witness the first attempt at GF bread in my bread maker....not impressive at all. It tasted about the same as the Madden shoe box that my new red shoes came in. It was a miserable failure. Moving on.......
It also failed the sniff test. So I gave up on having sandwiches for awhile.
But I had this brand new breadmaker so I needed to use it............enter banana bread. Which turned out so good, it was gone before the night was over. Burp. I've redeemed myself in the bread department.

Next up this week: My menu.....

Monday: BBQ ribs (with naturally GF BBQ sauce - Bull's Eye, Lawry's seasonings), french fries and roasted veggies.

Tuesday: Eating at a work function, crossing my fingers that there will be food there I can eat.

Wed: Flank steak on the Grill in a soy sauce marinade (Great Value -Walmart's brand is GF) with corn on the cob and a side salad.

Thur: Pizza (Gillian's GF pizza crust) with coleslaw on the side

Fri: Meatloaf (Heinz if GF, as are the Gillian's bread crumbs), smashed potatoes and salad

Sat: Red beans and rice (cajun style) with a side of GF garlic bread.

Sun: Pot roast with rice, black eyed peas and steamed veggies.

I'm hoping by working out a weekly menu ahead of time, there'll be less panic when I get home from work with two tired kids and a hungry husband.

Send GF recipe ideas this way!!!!!!!!! I'm living on potatoes, meat and rice!