Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Log

By now, I'm sure you are aware that I have a log. A very large tree, more like it.
So when we moved in, we noticed that our yard in the back was slightly uneven. Okay, it was a big ole slant, pointing right down into the neighbor's yard (not the tacky neighbors, no, the elementary school principals house, greeeeeaaaaat!). So we brought in dirt, a whole truck load. I'm sure you remember that and this. Yeah those were fun.

Yet it still wasn't enough.

We toyed with the idea of a retaining wall, so that 3/4ths of our yard would be level then 1/4 would gently slop towards the principals' house....hi neighbor!!! Free watering for you!

But then my cheap self saw the cost of that retaining wall. After I cried and threw a fit, The Man and I decided to just sell the house and move to the flat prairie lands.

NOT.

So one day I passed by a yard with logs and huge rocks for sale. Logs, hmmmmm.

The idea was born. A rustic look for a nice yard that would last at least 10 years before having to be replaced with a retaining wall, hello.........not gonna be living here 10 years from now though....so even better!

And then bargained for, and then delivered to the "cheap lady who's mean husband won't let her spend over 80 bucks for a log plus delivery out to the boonies and who won't stop calling me till I agree".

Then came the problem of how to move it to the right part of the yard. So The Man brought in a coworker and off they went.

He.............Ho............

And they pushed some more........and it was bright sunny and freaking HOT. I was sweating just watching them, and pointing out directions. Then came the necessary evil of measuring it all out to make sure that where we have it is perfect. Cause we intend to bring in another load of dirt and level up to the top of the log.
Are you seeing my plan now? I dream in technicolor..........it's always this bright and clear when I have a good plan. The Man is still griping though, poor guy. No vision.
This is gonna work. Just wait and see.

Cause if it doesn't, I'll never live it down.

You're thoughts?