Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Sunday, September 18, 2011

Old As Shit... Is Me

 So my kid is in 7th grade. So my kid is almost 13. She has a Christmas birthday so California says start a year behind... I say GOD BLESS THEM. Cause I got to put this off for a year. So this weekend was my kids' first boy/girl school dance. Dave and me be old as shit.

Dave managed to sweep back into town from Idaho, just in time too. So we were able to be there for the primping, the dress up and the drop off. Then we grilled her and sweet B, my bff, who managed to sneak into said dance with her camera and keep a close eye on our kids.


 Drop off. We were told to "look nice" cause hello, everyone will be there! And were they ever. Lined up outside the school, clusters of boys, gaggles of girls, all clutching their $5 cover charge and ready to go through the police and school officials on hand to do the "dress check". This town is serious about their kids yo.

 So for the first time, Prin left my house in mascara and lipstick. Cause that is what Dad and I decided was appropriate for almost 13 year olds in our house. I curled her hair and lent her my jewelry and my bad ass softball player looked like quite the little girl when she left my house with B's daughter. Good Lord, it freaked me out seeing those girls all dolled up. I'm used to seeing them sweaty, covered in dirt and stained uniforms.

 But here's Prin before hand. Notice the camo shirt, lol. There's my kid....

 Me and my baby! Dave and I went to dinner during dance and deconstructed this picture on my phone. She has my cheeks, my forehead, my eyes and the rest is totally him.

The angels in action! Lord help us all!

For the record, I'm so freaking proud of my girl for behaving like a lady and having a good clean fun time. Mostly though I'm proud of Dave for not freaking the duck out and losing his mind over the whole ordeal. Daddy was present, front and center, walked her to the door making sure everyone saw her with her daddy and then let me gently steer him back to his truck. Bless his heart, as tough as it was for me.... it had to be killing him.

He took one look at the "finished" Prin before we left the house and reminded her that he not only bought her first diapers but wiped her butt the first time and had the pictures to prove it. LOL. Poor prin.