Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, September 15, 2011

Apparently I AM a girl, who knew

There are times that I don't really feel feminine. I think alot of it has to do with the amount of "guy" things I do for fun or do out of necessity but other than mascara, my face hasn't even seen real makeup in a long long time. (Not counting when B does my eye makeup, then I kinda feel like everyone is staring and pointing at the hooker lady with the hooker eyes, which everyone assures me looks great, hmmmm).

But yesterday at work, I was reminded that yep, I'm still very much a girl. I work in a technical field and in an office full of men. I work in a building with maybe 7 women out of almost 200 people that come through daily. In my department, I'm the ONLY female. This works out great for 99.999999999% of the time. I get the nicest bathroom all to myself and my office is the only one that smells nice. Nobody flinches when I drop an f-bomb and they tack Ms. to the front of my name cause it's a southern respect kind of thing (plus I guess I look old as hell).

However, being in a technical field, alot of equipment comes through our warehouses and since they moved a portion of the warehouse into a space that shares the main wall with our offices, we now have bugs. As in cockroaches. Those farkers are breeding like we're handing out gov cheese up in that place. AND I DON"T DO BUGS! Yeah, I am not a fan of anything buggy boo like at all. I can handle the office mouse that hangs around occassionally but hello, no bugs.

In my office I have cabinets for IT equipment and etc. There is alot of them and one in particular is my fav. An older tall filing cabinet with about 14 drawers that is perfect for chargers, cords and etc. It's the phone cabinet. And when I needed to test a handset, I just reached over and from memory pulled open the drawer and reached in.

Came out with a huge cockroach.

Oh Hell to the NO.

I screamed like somebody was trying to snatch the winning lottery ticket from my hand. There are apparently no good descriptions for the pitch of that scream either. The corporate safety guy who was camped out down across the hall in my conference room with his NOISE REDUCTION HEADPHONES ON, heard me. The HR guy from Dallas in the office next door was scared through a wall and dropped his phone. Both came running. And stared as I held this big ass MF-ing half alive, half dead THING in my hand.... still screaming.

Now the guys that I work with on a daily basis? Never moved. One kept typing away on his keyboard, another was walking by and without looking goes "blood?" and then kept going, and the last one was on his phone and goes "first aid kit? No? ok, anyway...." and continued his conversation. I'd say they know me pretty well.  My boss merely banged on the adjorning wall of our offices and told me to turn down my crappy music. Nice!

So once the safety guy from Dallas grabbed said roach and calmly walked out the office with it, things went back to normal.

Except, now everytime I open a drawer or cabinet in my office........ I leave it open and LOOK VERY CAREFULLY before putting my hand in. Which wouldn't be so funny except I have caught everyone one of my coworkers doing the same damn thing in their offices too today, lol.

Orkin will be onsite tomorrow or I"m going on strike!

I do not do windows, coffee runs or cockroaches.

I'm a girl damnit.