Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, April 10, 2008

Awards: For Kids with Good Manners and Morals

Congrats Princess!

My girl, Princess was honored by her classmates in her school's "Gala". Yeah! She was chosen by her classmates for several awards based on her personality and attitude: honest, helpful and friendly! This was a very big deal. I should have known when she came home with a fancy invite for me. But upon arriving, fresh from work in my all black work wear, I quickly took a seat on the front row, cause I'm that mom. All around as the curtain twitched with excited kids, parents were filling up rows, not seats but rows with family. There were more kids in the audience than I've seen on kid eat free night at Denny's~ Holy crap!

They did a speed stacking presentation to open the show then each category was introduced and the audience reminded of why this was an important attribute. I must say, I was super impressed that the classroom was operated on such a basis. However, I realized quickly that this wasn't normal school stuff, see in every school and state we former military people have lived in, we've never had anything like this.

My kid has stayed on the honor roll her whole school career and yet this school is the first not to recognize that in any manner during an awards ceremony or by putting it in the local paper. Nope, we had the Gala. Which I find refreshing but strange.

Meanwhile several other parents seemed to find me strange. The lady behind me was conversing with her husband in a very loud whisper that I must be new to the area as she hadn't seen me at church. Her husband responded with a question about why I was in all black......this went back and forth. Now the funny part is their 18 month old daughter had left their row in the midst of this conversation and was as of now, perched in my lap, where she climbed. I was taking pictures so I just let her sit and fumble with my earrings.

Surely you would think they noticed her absence right? Nope, they just kept talking about me.

I took pity on them, seeing how I was in a gracious non-bitch mood and turned slightly to tell them, "Yes, I'm new, no you won't see me at church unless you come with me to mine, and I wear all black because I'm depressed in my job and I'm mourning the loss of my sanity. Now could you get your kid, she's cute but she did a stinky"

Funny, they didn't seem to find me funny. But afterwards they did introduce themselves. That was nice. I could be wrong, my neighbors might not all be turds.

Oh then I finally got Princess and her friend together for a shot, aren't they too cute?
Doesn't she look sweet and innocent? I love that she choses such clothing on her own.......sniff sniff cause I was dressed like a morbid goth girl minus the black lipstick, I'm more of a nutmegy, pastel color lip girl.