Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Sunday, March 30, 2008

Forgive Me Father, For I Have Shopped

It's been a long week and it wasn't the wisest move on my part to go online for some retail therapy. I had been doing so well with the whole not spending thing. I'm saving for a house, which we WILL eventually decide to pull the trigger on (but our cold feet is yet another entry).



So it was with very little else to do at 3 a.m. the other morning that The Man and I were huddled up around my laptop "working" on the house. See, he has made several contributions lately: new truck parts, a new 80 gallon air compressor (did you know that those things are SOOOOO handy. I totally use it to clean my household fans, dust my fake plants and dry my car mats after a wash) and more than enough tools to open our own mechanic shop. But I love him and it's part of the package.



It doesn't hurt that he also has a line item in our budget for my Barnes & Nobles habit.



So we were toying with the idea of adding a few wanted pieces to the house when I hit upon the perfect sideboard/console table. It blends well with my livingroom, it has doors on the bottom to hide the junk that usually sits under my coffee table AND it's from IKEA. Hello bargain. So it took some twisting but he did go pick it up for me Friday and then put it together, right before he went to the doctor's. Cause I'm a slave driver like that.



We have started on the den too, it's pretty well situated as it's where we watch tv and hang out. But we've been meaning to add an art/craft area for the kids. So we got a big ole table and some stools. Now I need totes or bins for organizing their stuff. But we're getting there. Oh and the air hockey table addition doesn't count, cause it was given to us.



But the addition that makes my heart sing? Well you see, I have this thing about rugs. I have a beautiful area rug that I got a super deal on (cause have you noticed how expensive rugs are?) and it's lasted years, seriously. It started out in the dining room of one house, then moved to the livingroom of another, then it was in the office/dinette area of another, then finally here, it's in the large hardwood foyer. But I wanted a rug for my kitchen, I hate hardwood in the kitchen, it's a pain in my butt. Oh and I don't do small rugs, we're talking 5x8 or bigger, it's all about atmosphere and a rug can add so much to a room.



Well I found this beauty and The Man said yes and now I'm pacing back and forth in front of my door waiting on a delivery that will probably take two or more weeks to get here.



Internet shopping isn't so good for the whole instant gratification thing huh?





Now it's different from my usual taste, but I just love the whole bubble look. Plus the colors work great for my kitchen. I'm addicted, now I'm eye-balling a rug for my landing on the stairs.....hmmm