Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, October 11, 2007

Something smells good...

It's hard living up to the whole "mom" thing sometimes, especially when you're a working mom but occassionally at our house we do break out the fun stuff. There is nothing my girls like more than cooking, in fact they are going to both take classes in it very soon, I hope to never cook again. Moving on...... we decided to make banana cake......from scratch, heaven help us.
We began by having Duchess mash the bananas. This was after I ran around to every room demanding to know who had eaten three bananas in the 15 hours since I had purchased them. Eat chocolate or candy, people, not my recipe ingredients......

Then we mixed it all up good and plopped it in a pan. These pans are amazing, I have no clue where you get them or what they are called but they are angels sent straight from God in Heaven. They come immaculately (no pun intended) clean every time you use them....I love you white pan.....

We are nut lovers, and yep that reads as bad as it sounded in my head, so we added walnuts to our cake. Yum.......

Then my mom snapped and held me hostage till I started confessing to all the times I snuck out of the house during my teen years.........only once mom, only that one time and you met me at the door and let me sneak back in cause your the pooh mom, I swear....... and I would really like that golf/spa package for Christmas, let's take a lunch and talk about it some more......


Fresh out of the oven, this golden brown cake became the most germ ridden object in my house....cause we're freaks and we all walk up, smell it, then put on hand on top and announce, yep too hot to frost...... multiple times.......

However, after we finished dinner, we slapped homemade frosting on this bad boy and then we ate it fast.....oh man, it was amazing.
So here you go.....just in case your tempted!
1/2 cup of butter
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
2 eggs
2-3 nice ripe bananas, mashed well (I always use about 3 medium)
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
3/4 of a teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
2 1/4 cups of unbleached flour (freshly milled pastry flour is best)
1/2 cup of chopped nuts (if you like nuts--you can use your favorite kind)
Peel, and mash your ripe bananas.
In a large bowl combine:Butter and sugar, and beat. Add eggs, bananas, and buttermilk. Beat well with a spoon, or with a mixer for about 2 minutes. Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. Beat until well combined, by hand, or with a mixer for about 2 minutes. Fold in nuts, if you're using them.
Butter and flour 2 round cake pans (or whatever shape pans you prefer). Pour batter into your pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Do not over bake.
After the cake has sufficiently cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting and garnish with fruit of your choice or if your like me, you live in a house where fruit can't remain in the fruit dish for no longer than 24 hours.
Oh and keep telling yourself that it's fat free........it is, really.........I swear......