Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, October 6, 2007

In The Blink of An Eye

Ten years married, twelve together.... and they passed in the blink of an eye. So a short trip down memory lane seemed appropriate!

See I have alot to be thankful for.... I met this guy at a gas station a long time ago, his truck was in the shop so he was driving his grandma's pink caddy, 1970's era.... and was cooler than shit in his hat and boots, his date thought so too I'm sure, till he took her home. Then there was me.

This guy was not my usual type, he was the bad boy, the one that every momma on earth preaches about and me, I was the good girl. He ran with a group of guys he'd known his entire life, they were hell raisers too, always ready for a good fight, ready for a night of partying or hunting as long as they were together. Little did I know that I would quickly become the only girl in this hunting pack. We would see the inside of many establishments, some that I would have to be carried out of, literally hanging on someones back, but I was along for the ride. The feisty five and the lightweight.

I went to a pawn shop on my first real date (cause we're country folks ya'll), duck hunting all night in the wet cold on my second date and before long I was a permanent fixture, they would even wait till I got off work before heading out. But The Man and I had quickly become inseparable. He was hot and I was loving life. Enjoy it while it lasts had become my motto .... cause cowboys ride away.

They ride away right into the Navy. He enlisted one day a year and a half into our relationship and came home to tell me about it. He left several months later, but not before picking me up from work one day, driving me to my favorite park and kicking me out of his truck. Literally fuming I stomped my way south, intent on heading home and breaking everything he'd ever given me into tiny pieces when he tackled me from behind laughing and proposed .... memorable to say the least. So we got engaged and he left. It was four weeks before I started getting letters, even though I mailed at least two a day to him. But the mail came pouring in and we began to plan this crazy thing we call our life.

We got married after bootcamp, at Christmas in a small country church wedding. It was great, my reception was family and friends and guitars playing all night long. His grandmother gave me the sluttiest piece of naughty wear I have ever owned ..... it was the best. We honeymooned in the middle of nowhere snowed in with food and no tv. It was great.

The Navy had it's hold on us by this point and thank you God for that. We traveled, we moved and we existed by leaning on each other. That made us so strong, as I look back I see how so many families rely heavily on their families and we never had that option, we had each other as both of our tight knit families were so far from us.

The Man and I learned to be a unit. We were still hot too!



We then became parents a year later at Christmas. (Christmas is a busy time for us, are you getting that?) Princess came into this world with blonde shiney hair, a big ole voice and endless energy, nothing has changed. We loved the "being young parents" thing. We played with her like there was no tomorrow. The Man then began sharing the things that meant so much to us, we danced with her, we sang with her, we did outdoorsy things with her, we were a family.
The Man deployed and Princess and I learned to survive on our own. I learned to kill my own spiders and bugs. I learned to deal with mechanics and bills and the spiderweb that is military healthcare. I worked and raised my girl while keeping close contact with my far away hubby. I learned my strength as a wife and a person. The Man learned the value of together time. We made it work, never perfect but who wants perfect, I want life.

Then four years later, at Christmas AGAIN, Duchess joined the royal ranks. A chunky monkey from the beginning, she was the "Wyatt Earp" of all babies. She rarely smiled at anyone not her parents, she hated strangers and hardly ever made a sound, just lots of serious little stares. We knew for sure she was plotting to take over the world, that plan is already in motion. Beware the little one ... life took off at warp speed ...


Yet through it all, I had my best friend and soulmate .... the one person on this earth that I can annoy the shit out of yet he still hugs me good night. Even when deployed I could count on a call or email to tuck me into bed .... even if he wasn't there to check the house when I heard a noise or to sit up all night with sick kids. He was, in a way.




So we kept moving and he kept serving. All through it, we worked, as a couple and a family. We overcame difference and we didn't kill each other, that counts alot.
For the one man who always complains about how many baths I take yet always is the first to suggest a soak when I'm not 100% .....
For the man who can't understand why I need new shoes, any shoes ... yet pays for them and hauls them into the house for me .....
For the man who hates anything romantic and sloppy yet never says a word about the wall full of romance novels that I read and re-read.........
For the man who never said a word when I started smoking again......


For the man who takes time to do special things with our kids, like making and painting paper maeche planets, just because..... and loves me even though I can't spell and neither can my computer.......
For the man who cleans my car to an inch of it's life and doesn't say a word when it's trashed again 24 hours later...... honey don't look in the trunk.......
For the man who gets up and grabs his gun and stalks the house in the middle of the night like a ghetto swat cop anytime he hears a noise ... the same man who can sleep through hurricane winds (literally), ringing phones, multiple alarms and a crying kiddo but can hear a creak of a door or window and is locked and loaded two seconds later......
For the same man who taught me to do the same thing with my gun when he is not home, using the whole figure eight method....

The guy that makes me laugh like no other person alive and can break me out of any foul mood....
The same guy that regular grabs me in public and isn't afraid of PDA......
Who'd be the same guy who just last week was making faces and monkey gestures through the window of my work to get my attention.........


The bad boy who has grown into the most responsible and amazing man I know......
Who came home from our anniversary trip to Vegas, where we acted like newlyweds again, then tucked me into bed so I could get rest before going to work the next morning, while he stayed up and did all the laundry from our trip and then spent the next full day cleaning our house.....
Stud, you rock and you're still the hottest thing around....


Happy 12 years of being together babe, I'm determined to get many many more, I have plans to drive you nuts for years to come.....