Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Teacher?

Today was a classic homeschooling issue for me....who's the teacher?

Duchess was working on phonics, specifically blended sounds in big words. Words such as conscience, exhibition, shark, direction, shampoo and smash. Four pages of such words. The goal was to cut out all the pictures and match them to the words after tracing and writting the words. She cut them all out and put them in tidy, very OCD rows.

Then she sounded each out (some with a little help) and promptly matched up the words.

Until she got to smash.....to fully appreciate this conversation please note that my seven year old has quite the vocab. Seriously, between her mimi and don-don and myself, we constantly challenge her with big words so when she uses them sometimes out of the blue in that baby voice, it surprises me.

"Mom, smash is not a word."

"Yes it is honey"

"Let me borrow the computer, I'm gonna look it up. It's not a word mommy."

Me currently on Facebook says "no, it's a word honey."

"Show me smash then"

Me demostrates "smash-ing" a bug with my hand.

"That is not smash."

Me exhausted with this already, gently pushes the correct picture towards her to tape to the page.....

"That is not a picture of your word, smash"

Me trying not to lose my temper, "yes honey it is"

"No mommy, that is a man destroying a computer with a tireiron"

(speechless) me turning picture around to study tiny little picture...... "that is not a tireiron"

"Yes it is mommy, you use it to fix your car.....unless you call the fixit man like when you locked your keys in the car"

(sigh) "he's smash-ing the computer honey, it counts"

"No mommy he is destroying the computer. Smash is not a word"

"Love for the love of Christ, fine - "

(interrupts Duchess) "yes cause Easter is this Sunday"

She wins.

I got schooled by the 7 year old.