Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Day in the Life of the "Griswalds" aka Us

So today was a typical "do or die" day in the life of our family, which I think I shall refer to us as the Griswalds. It seems proper since I shy away from revealing our last name. (Makes it harder for the devil to find me, lol)

So Dave is in crane prep for his national crane license. He's working sun up to sun down literally working on his practicals so he can blow it out of the water, typical husband of mine. I love ambition in a man, it's freaking hot. And he's freaking hot if I may wonder from the subject at hand, opps sorry.

Moving on, so he was up at sunrise and heading out to the school for more work outs and we started our school day early. We got school done even though the sun was shining and the kids were restless. We went through our errands quickly even though a visit to the grocery led to three well meaning ladies wanting to know where we were from, why my kids weren't in school and wow what a great life we must lead...why yes we do thank you...it's not without sacrifice but it's ours and we like it just like it is.

Instead of having lunch with Dave like planned we dropped some off for him and ran back to the rv for more math, cause I'm all about us some math these days. Then I gave up and decided to move math lessons out to the picnic table. Which actually increased productivity alot! Till Dave called and said surprise he was on his way home and we were going down the road to the South Texas State Fair.

It was ladies day so every ride, 1 coupon rather than 6 for us ladies. Since Dave doesn't do rides, that left me to ride with me oldest, Princess and Princess to ride with the baby, Duchess. God help me.........I don't do rides well. It's a good thing I hadn't eatten all day, it'd been messy. Cause not only did I get drug on the roller coasters but the 115 ft in the air swings...oh my lord. Seriously, Im not the brave parent at all but I kinda lost it and told my 11 year old that she sucks and "in four languages" which she told her dad, "thankfully she didn't actually tell me in other languages". Not cool mom!

Fun houses seemed real popular with my babies too, so they visited lots of those. The ferris wheel was awesome. The two kids went together and Dave and I stood in the shade below chatting and watching them when I noticed their cart at the tip top of the wheel with Duchess' head poked out, ohhhh I was hot. So then we had ride safety lessons for 10 minutes. I was hot.

We found me the cutest Texas purse to replace my big ole work purse that is falling apart. Now here is my confession on purses. I own a lot of purses. I have bought only the cheap ones for myself. The "good" ones are in storage in Utah. The really expensive ones were all bought for me: one by my former group of bosses when I left a job with a board of directors: they all pitched in for a to-die-for Brighton purse, another is from a bestie who told her husband to buy us purses overseas and he came home with real Coach purses rather than fakes, and then theres the beautiful beautiful purse from one of my boss' wives last year from overseas (although its so delicate I'm scared to use the damn thing) or the purse my hubs bought me for a birthday that got 2 years of use and is still immaculate. So see I rarely buy myself a purse. But I picked out the cutest little purse, brown leather and camo material with big ole redneck bling all over it and a huge honking cross on the wrong....will eventually post pics. The dang thing is adorable. Whoa way off track here..........

Anywho, so after being distracted by a purse and then taking it out to the truck while the kids stocked up on junk food and slurpies, we got back to the business at hand. Rides. We rode everything. And finally got Duchess to go on an adult ride with us: Mouse Crazy which was FUN! Def one of the best rides I've ridden. Except even though she sat in the middle, Duchess went from nervous to scaried to terrified to --------. Yeah she went comotose at one point. At the very end, even though I was holding her close and talking to her and explaining it was just a little roller coaster, she checked out. So much so that when we pulled in to dismount our car, the guy helping us out was like whoa, is she okay? Ummm no. Dave snatched her up and did the whole daddy will beat them up thing and 5 minutes later she was running off to go to a funhouse so it wasn't a lasting thing but man oh man. Lesson 1 learned: Duchess isn't an adventurer like the rest of us: kiddo rides only. Poor baby, she went straight from the big rides back to the little tyke rides like the oh so gentle caterpiller roller coaster which Princess rode in the very back cart, texting the whole time and Duchess sat up from with her hands raised whooping like crazy as it oh so slowly went around corners. Oh well.

So it was finally time to go and with the last tickets, Princess and I did one last screaming ride on the big roller coaster while Duchess went through another fun house with Dave standing guard outside. Except, I got off the ride to see her crying and standing next to Dave. That fun house had a mirror room and seems my baby couldn't get out, paniced and ran into a glass wall resulting in a huge pop knot on her head. Ice? check, crying kid leaving fair? check, kid bought off with candy? check............she just wanted her momma to carry her but at 7 my kid is now too big for me to carry as I can barely lift her. My kids are quickly outgrowing their mom. It's sad how short I am compared to them.

So we came home and cooked a quick dinner and sat around looking at one another......another day done to death in the Griswald rv home.