Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Brave Girl

Today was Princess' first karate tournament.
We got up at 530, got there for registration at 730. It didn't start till 10. Shoot me. I'm exhausted.
2 months in karate and her first tournament presenting her form. This was about the moment that she noticed that the three other contestants were all colored belts. This was suppose to be novice, 1 year and under division for traditional forms. I'm thinking, NOT. Then she noticed that she was the ONLY WHITE BELT in the entire event.
Then she got up there and busted out her form in precise, perfect form. I was amazed at how graceful and elegant she was.
She got a 7.91. She came in last. They gave out three trophies.
There were four contestants. She congratulated everyone and chatted with the others.

Then she has a "come apart" in the car.

Except it wasn't that she was last, it was cause the judges didn't even speak to her much less shake her hand after acknowledging the others and passing out trophies.

I had to leave, cause I'm a mean arse.

But she was awesome.....and she's ready for testing in October, her first. And then the next tournament in April, she's ready.

There aren't words for how utterly privileged I am to be the mother of such an amazingly strong, good person.