Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, August 6, 2007

My little camper

I blinked. That is really the only thing I can think of right now. I blinked and she grew up into a tween thing. And now she is leaving home to attend a week long science camp, by herself, without her mother, however she is taking her green-green (the long suffering green blanket). That gives me hope that she isn't totally grown yet. Sigh....
So we have spent most of this week, preparing her for camp. She is on a green streak. Everything is green, she picks out trendy, hippie green skirts, skorts and shirts. All of her camp gear had to be green, right down to the little plastic bottles for shampoo and face wash....all green. So I have the car packed, that kid took everything, even a pillow which we managed to get in the duffel bag. So one duffel bag, one super duper hero sized green sleeping bag in an orange case that will protect her wee toes should the summer temps drop below -32 degrees (The Man has his own way of dealing with tweeny woes).... one green carry-all with toiletries (who knew but yeah, she has alot of toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, detangling spray, face wash, deo, lotion, and the list goes on....geez she is only 8 give me a break) and one green backpack which includes at the moment: heavy duty hiking boots, a seriously tuff flashlight and extra batteries, a little red knife set that turns into everything including a fork, spoon and helicopter, a field mess kit for eating, and last but not least, a seriously bad arse bandanna from The Photo Elusive Step-Dad....oh and her stuffed puppy.

We're ready.....I have the map, in the car already. Luggage in the car already. The letters that we pre-wrote so she'll get mail (kid will get like 5 a day!) are in the car. The camp forms and paperwork that is required for the medical screen, in the car....

Mother's panic and tears: Right here baby, but will be in the car, come morning.

Wish me luck. I told her I would spot her a $20 for the store there if she made it in the morning through drop off without a tear.....sigh, she is so not worried about me, it's all about the $20....

Here's to hoping I don't lose my shit in front of a camp full of other mothers.........