Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Mule Deer Factor

Man, I can move. I can also having an entertaining and unexpected move. This one was both. First off, considering that our last set of packer/movers damn near ruined everything I owned we decided to pack and move ourselves. It went well. Dave came home one weekend, and helped me packed most of what we own room-by-room then I wrapped all the furniture in shrink wrap. Boom, it wasnt' too bad. I had some help with the final push and cleaning (thanks Momma).

So move morning came, Dave had flew in the night before to drive the uhaul and I was driving my truck behind. We are so blessed as we go to church with the defensive line coach for the local university so I had some d-line boys loading my uhaul. Started at 9m finished at 1 and you could not have added a cracker to that bad boy. :) It was impressive. We did checkout with the realtor and turned over the keys to the next tenant and off we went.

What should have been a straight through drive didn't turn out so straight through. See the further north and east we got, the more daylight we had. So it was twilight at about 940 when out of nowhere in the middle of nowhere western Montana that a big ole purty mule deer died on the front of Dave's uhaul. He, Murphy and Duchess was tooling along in front of me and Princess when it happened. It was raining also. We both pulled over. He to check the uhaul and me to check the deer. It was dead. Which was good because nothing good comes from me standing in the rain on the side of a narrow Montana road holding a handgun.

The poor Uhaul? Spewing fluids and a busted up front. So he called Uhaul and we both took a minute to thank God that we had purchased insurance for the uhaul. They told us to try and drive it to the nearest town. Well when that didn't work. They told us to find a hotel for the night cause it would be morning before they could send a tow truck and mechanic our way. So we found two Bates motels that the kids and I voted to sleep in the truck before stepping foot in the door. Then we found a Super 8 that was kinda decent in a "sleep with your clothes on and above the covers and don't think about showering" kind of way.

We woke up to a call letting us know that even though we'd left the hazzards on and the little hazzard signs out, the state troopers had towed my effffing uhaul. Cause it was broke down dead in the middle of the lane and it was "heavy farm equipment season and they need that lane". Ooooookay. Well by this point, Uhaul regional pressy was our handler so they bailed out the truck and got us to a mechanic. Luckily we had my truck to run around and site see western Montana some while waiting for the truck to be repaired. One radiator and one tranny cooler later, we were on the road at 6:30pm. Yeah, three hours later we pulled it over again cause we were just exhausted. Got some good sleep and then drove in to the new Griswald hometown the next day around noon.

The Montana adventures have started with a bang. Pics to come soon. ;) I'm unpacking!