Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Oh Sweet Baby Jesus

In making an effort to curb my sailor mouth, my latest exasperated phrase is "oh sweet baby Jesus" as in Oh good grief, Lord help me. This came in handy this morning.

The kiddos were gotten up bright and early for school since today was the first appointment in our new volunteer program we are doing with the kids. As life is really more about how you live it and what you do for others, we felt the kids were old enough to really learn service. This morning we had our first service appointment at a retirement home down the street.

Now because I know my children I went over and over the list of rules:

1. Do not run
2. Do not yell, scream, or hysteria
3. Do not talk constantly, listen to your partner
4. Be good
5. Be good or else
6. Be good or else I'll kill ya

So on the way there this morning, we ran through the list again. But I really didn't hammer it down because I wanted my kids to be themselves and just enjoy this service to others.

We met with the director and the kids were gushed over and promptly put into service helping their assiged partner with bingo. Bingo is apparently a cut throat deal in the retirement home. Fierce sport!

Duchess was paired with a very sweet and sassy older woman, who was the most "with it" of all our partners. She told us she was "in for" not listening to her doctor and frankly she wouldn't be listening cause she loved the home and would rather stay there. Well call her Mrs. Orange from now on as she has requested Duchess be her partner all the time.

Princess was paired with Mrs. Silent who was very quiet and quite paranoid that they were "doing it wrong" since they weren't winning. Princess was a saint.

I was paired with Ms. Judy who needed constant help and kept telling me over and over that I was beautiful and that she loved me.

We had a blast. We were asked how often we could come back. We're going back this week for another bingo round and nail painting time.

It wasn't until we were in the parking lot loading up when Duchess produced her "gift". Two shiney quarters that she and her partner had won at bingo.............

OH SWEET BABY JESUS

Apparently I forgot to add to the rules how we're not suppose to shake down old people as part of our service project.