Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, February 28, 2008

Does Not Play Well With Others....Updated!

Today I'm doing something I hate. I'm attending a teambuilding exercise with my work staff. Not the men that I work for, no....the other staff, meaning the other girls. Sigh.........this is just a pain in my ass.

First off, I'm completely anti-social. I'm the person that told several wives whose husbands work with mine that I wasn't in the market for new friends, I didn't have the time and the friends that I have were wonderful and long time friends who couldn't and wouldn't ever be replaced. Plus, I just don't need extra people..........I'm such a shit. But off task: seriously I'm anti-social. I'm completely content to be with my kids and The Man all the time and never deal with anyone except my mom or girlfriends.

I'm a former military wife. This means that my best friends are few, I learned years ago that I don't have the time to form superficial relationships. But those friends that I do have, the shortest friendship is five years long. The rest, longer.......these are women who never ever forget my birthday, they will take my call at 2 a.m. asking immediately What is wrong and do you need me? They are the friends that love the bitch in you and celebrate your uniqueness, crap I'm tearing up right now just talking about them.......anyway, I'm anti-social.

Which is why it is pure toture to have to spend the afternoon bowling and having dinner with people who I would never be friends with. I work comfortably with them, even though I would rather email them a question than go to their desk. They aren't bad people at all. They are just not my people. I love my job, which is why I'm going.

So I wore jeans and a cute top and I'm gonna go bowl and eat with them. We don't actually have anything in common though, the one lady I work with that I adore and we mesh well, she called me as I was standing in my closet this morning trying to figure out what to wear with jeans. (Cause people I don't wear jeans to work ever, and they won't let me wear hoodies which is what I wear with jeans............) She wants to back out of dinner, cause really I don't want to eat with them........you back out too..........oh sweetie I wish. But they all know I canceled a hair appointment already to do this so I'm kinda stuck..........

This is torture of the highest form. The other women are nothing like me. None are married or moms cause where we live, if you're maried or a mom you don't work...........ever........nothing........ever........till you die. But I'm not a usual woman and I like working, as my girls are growing and spreading their wings, they don't need me hovering as much. Plus I like being independent, dang, I'm off subject again........Seriously I have nothing in common with them. They live at home with their parents, work is a past time until they marry, I can't fathom their life and they can't fathom mine. Which is why a teambuilding idea is brilliant. This way we're all forced to sit and mingle. To find some common thread that will make working with each other easy.

torture..........

pure and simple, torture..........

I have a hoodie in the car, I'm so not bowling in a work shirt, I'm standing my ground!


Update: ** I survived and surprised myself by being quite the stud bowler, holy cow it's been like four years but I was rocking out strikes like it was candy. Must have been the lucky hoodie, yeah the one that had my boss rolling her eyes and going Oh Hope4Grace.......hey, I waited till we were offsite before putting it on........hee hee (insert evil laugh here) But I survived, and when we all sat around talking houses and HOA's I think my coworkers were quite shocked to find that I'm quite agressive outside of work, gee, who knew?

Oh and for Frazzled Farm Wife: it just happens that I've recently replaced my poor old vacuum cleaner with not one but two vacuums. See I have a regular Bissel for the middle and bottom floors and a light weight Dirt Devil for upstairs, cause I hate dragging them up and down the stairs. Plus the kids' chores include vac-ing upstairs (cause if it's not perfect, who really cares) so they use the very lightweight one........so here you go, my vac recommendations, I believe you were the one who asked.....