Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, February 7, 2008

You're Doing It Wrong

This morning was a first. We all left the house early. 99% of the time we are out of there on time by the skin of our teeth, as I have two girls who are last minute everything, plus I can't get dressed until after I feed them, otherwise I end up wearing nice work clothes with grape jelly or egg stains. So for us to actually leave the house 20 minutes early was one for the books.

Being the amazing mother that I am, I thought I would take Princess to school since her campus opens at about the same time her bus would normally pick her up. So off we go. We get there and there are 3 cars in the parking lot up front. Now since this school houses over 1000 kids, I would think that it would at least have a few more people at work this close to bell time. Nope, no duty teacher on duty out front either, to shuffle the kids into the gym out of the cold. So we parked in the approved "Parent drop off circle" as opposed to the right in front of the door "bus only drop off circle" and waited for signs of life before I actually left my Princess there. Three SUV's full of kids were dropped off yet I patiently waited to see if someone was going to come out and be in charge. A bus finally came and dropped off kids that scattered like leaves on a windy fall day, every direction. Some to the playground, some to the main office, some to the gym. Geez, this isn't very organized. Finally I see a teacher drag herself out of a car, holding a cup and three bags and slowly make her way to the front of the school. Where she dropped all her bags, and sat down like she was exhausted clutching her cup. 10 bucks says there was booze in the cup!

So Duchess and I kiss Princess bye and she opens the door to head out, when a car comes flying in the bus circle. It opens up and five look-a-like kids pop out, all different heights and sizes but all towheads. (Not sure how that many kids ended up fitting in a 2 door civic but oh well) when my kid turns to me with a look of horror and yells, "They're doing it wrong"

Yeah I loved that show too honey, but people are stupid and really there are no signs so it can't be enforced. Oh no, cause there goes the exhausted duty teacher yelling the same thing. Oh and the office lady has come out from her perch to yell too. The poor frazzled mom of the five kids in a civic just ignored them and bundled her little ones off with a kiss. Meanwhile, the line of buses piled up behind her was impressive. In four seconds flat, eight buses had shown up and couldn't drop off on schedule. SO the busdrivers were getting in on the yelling.

Princess is inside at this point, but I was rubbernecking like it was a 4 car pileup. I have never seen burb life this close, and I was wondering, does it bite? Finally the poor mother dragged herself back into the car and was slowly pulling out as eight buses jammed into place quick as ............well you know.

I bet she went home and had some of what the duty teacher was drinking......