Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Kitchen is A Bitchin

So these days are busy. I'm subbing alot... long story that I need to revisit soon. My classes are doubled up. I'm cooking up a storm. I'm still 24 lbs up from quitting smoking, cause dayum I cook all the fucking time! Urgh. But speaking of cooking.... I've gotten on the coop wagon. We live in the middle of nowhere and I do mean nowhere but somehow somebody got a coop set up here so we get baskets of yummy goodness every week. Oh and let me tell you, for $15 freaking dollars a basket, I get a crap ton of stuff. This week I bought two baskets; I got parsnips, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, strawberries, apples, oranges, grapefruit, celery, and can I just tell you that we LUV some fresh food up in this house. Dave kicked out breakfast this morning with little plates of boiled eggs, cheese, apples, grapefruit and oranges. Delicious. Simple. Fresh. Now, he gets into cooking with me more now because literally all over my kitchen is fresh food just sitting around on the counters and in baskets. You can't escape it. (We'll not mention that last night when it was pickup time, it was -9 degrees outside and half my celery froze on the ride home in the back of his truck.... it's a 3 mile ride but my man totally went and got it since I was cold... he loves me) So I'm trying some new brussel sprout recipes this week: think, bacon and maple syrup and nutmeg. I can't wait to see this shake out and get the kids' response. Nice! I have been experimenting and cooking up a storm. I've made from scratch lemon pound cake, which was amazing. I've made french toast casserole, outstanding (although that was with gluten regular white bread for the fam so I couldn't eat it.... they reviewed so until I nail that with a GF bread, it don't count) I've nailed sweet potato mash and I have an awesome recipe for strawberry tarts that I'm trying tomorrow. I so enjoy working in the kitchen and putting yummy healthier options in front of my peeps. Except, I gotta up my game at the damn gym. Bastard gym. Bitch gym from hell. Sigh. I gotta go scrub some carrots for braising....