Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, June 20, 2009

Don't Blink...

The Man...




Fark it, if you read my comments you'll know that The Man is Dave, as he apparently doesn't give a rat's ass about privacy issues, lol, so we'll just call him Dave, shall we?




Moving on...... Dave is home for the weekend. His one weekend this month to celebrate Father's Day weekend as well as give me my medicine therefore insuring that I don't snap and off someone in traffic.....TMI I know, but true.




So we'd planned to hike one the big mountains nearby today and enjoy some of the great Utah (snicker) outdoors. Except we woke up to Princess with swollen tonsils and an am trip to the doctor and rain. Therefore we improvised. While Dave and Princess hit the doc and the pharmacy, I ran out between rain sessions and quickly mowed the front/side yard, you know the only parts visible to the neighbors, cause it's all about keeping up appearances (does any one else love that show? ADD much?).




They came home and yelled at me for mowing in the rain and then Dave noticed that my neighbors were having a garage sale. Before I'd finished that little strip of lawn between the street and my sidewalk, he's bought the kids a go-kart for a SONG. Therefore insuring that I'll forever be that parent.......the "I'll beat you senseless if I catch you riding that thing without your helmets, padding and rollcage protection gear" parent. Fun times I tell you.

So after that debacle, we headed to the mall.




Please pause for a moment of silence......... ahhhh the mall.




Dave was sporting the droopy pants, rapper look and needed some pants that actually fit. So there you have it. Off we go.




We hooked him up. yum.

So then it happened. The moment when I stood in the middle of the mall and had a mini-heart attack. When suddenly I felt old. Dave managed it much better than I did. Turd.


As I stood with Princess in the mall watching Dave get a battery for his watch, she casually asked if we could swing by one last store. Hmmm it was nap time but I asked which store and why.....


Because she liked their shirts. Seems it's a popular brand with some of her older classmates and she "thought it'd look good with jeans and a hoodie" mom.


While doing the fish mouth face, I ran through a million reasons why that was not appropriate.


*you're too young
*it's too expensive
*blah freaking blah


But Dave in his cool parenting way, says sure we'll check it out. While giving me the keep cool eyes, as in we'll figure it out.


We walked in and once I realized that it wasn't horribly expensive and hello, the clothes are more surfer style tees and shorts than slutty clothes that most people think are okay for ten year olds. We racked up. Tee's for $12, flips for $6 and a hoodie for $14, yeah.......I'm okay with this.

But peeps, the hardest part, was watching my kid come out of that dressing room, all legs and gangly self, smiling so big and bright as she planned out outfits (need some ribbons to match for my ponytails mom)......and I realized that I wasn't prepared for this transition. I didn't think it would happen so soon, so very casually, so very.........her.

Especially when before today, all her clothes came from: