Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Living Gluten-Free

The one thing that drives me nuts is how little there is out there for those of us who are gluten-free. It's not a lifestyle choice, but a health necessity. Which is why it drives me crazy trying to find places to eat out.

I've noticed that larger cities have websites leading you to lists of restaurants that are gluten free, however even though I'm 40 minutes from a major western city, notta! Nothing! Zip!

I've taken to calling restuarants out of the blue on a whim and asking if they are gluten free friendly. If they ask me to repeat that, I hang up. I tried carrying little notecards in my purse, didn't help. I've found three places to eat that doesn't cripple me afterwards; I stalk them.

Otherwise I've given up eating out. I have learned to carry snacks and beef jerky in my purse. To have a smoothy instead of a meal when I'm stuck out and about. Except I find that there are days I go without eating.

Today was such a day.

Couldn't figure out why I was exhausted, overwhelmed and besieged. I never cry but found myself tearing up all evening. Until I sat down to eat dinner and realized that it was the first thing I'd eaten all day.

I really need a buy a vowel sometimes. And peeps, the blonde ain't natural so we can't blame that can we?

But I will say that everywhere I go, I find more and more peeps who are either GF or have a family member that is GF. I never knew it existed until this past year. Now, it's a huge part of my life.

Having a stomach disease sucks, but honestly if you know someone who has battled stomach problems for years, please encourage them to keep at their doctor. It took six years to find my "problem" and now eight months later, I'm healthier, happier and my life doesn't revolve around my pain.

Except there is no magical cure. Proper diet and stress management are key.

Now if only I could practice what I preach, lol.

Next time your having that slice of pizza or cake, think about me. I'm still learning to bake with rice flour and it sucks. ;)

Over and out.