Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I survived.....I think

I've neglected my blog but it couldn't be helped. There are only so many ways you can get pulled before you start yanking your own hair out......and while doing that notice that your roots are passed acceptable and need immediate attention as well.

The Holiday party went off like a roman candle. It was perfect. Since it was held up at a ski lodge we had to drive a little over an hour to get there. As soon as we hit the interstate, it started to snow quite hard. Hello, pretty white stuff rocks! So while The Man drove us up the mountain in the pretty snow, I read my book and tried not to completely smoke him out of the car.

We finally get close and I had him drop me off at the event site so I could assist with set up and his only job was to go back .5 mile and check into our hotel room. Oh wait, no, he had to drive all the way back to town and shop for a tie, cause he couldn't find one of the two he owns. He was not loving me at that moment. Plus the fact that it was now snowing hard enough that you couldn't tell what color my car was.

So I get in there and we set up the flowers and the media equipment. We stuffed the gift bags with papers and pretty little gifts. We sampled the food that was already in process. We were so rocking. So I headed back down the mountain with one of my coworkers in a borrowed 4x4. It took 30 minutes to go .5 miles. Pitiful, but we were stuck behind a snowplow.

So I'm wet, muddy, have glitter everywhere and am still wearing my sharpie marker behind my ear when I drag myself into the lobby of heaven. The hotel was amazing. I am so loving my firm. Being a ski town, they are a little short on traditional space so the hotel is set up like a maze that twists and turns and winds around. I finally found my room, with my husband inside.

I walk in and he tells me that the room is incredible and it's too late to give it back cause he's already unpacked and sat on the couch. Seems we got one of the fancy rooms, opps....hate it when that happens. I didn't cook in the kitchen but I washed my hands there, does that count? I didn't use all three bathrooms but I did soak in the jetted tub....counts. I didn't want tv but I did read in the livingroom.....counts. I totally loved the little makeup room off the bedroom, but the beds were great. Only problem in heaven..........double beds...........two of them.........hello.....?

So we ignored that problem for now. We got dressed, I smoked like a train on the balcony once I realized that ours faced the woods and noone from work could see me..........toot toot. I frebreezed myself so I wouldn't stink like an ashtray and off we went. We had a big ole shuttle bus to get up the mountain. Then there was pictures in the foyer, then there was drinks (hello, why have alcohol there, these people don't drink?) and little puffs of something on trays circling the room, never did manage to chase down the shrimp girl. Those babies looked great. We managed to get seats by the window out of the way, we watched the snow fall, so pretty. There was a welcome speech, yada-yada, there was dinner served out of the fireplaces, interesting concept I tell you, there was a video presentation of our company successes and not so hot moments, yada-yada. Then there was dessert, very cool and yummy... then the roast and the award ceremonies.

My job was all the electronics and the graphics and do hickeys of the night. I did the video and the presentations and the graphics and music for the awards. In other words, I'm the behind the scenes nerd, and I'm completely okay with that. I would rather not be up in front of my entire firm in a dress and heels but no stockings cause I forgot them, urgh!

So when the awards started, I kept on eating, cause I wrote the entire script for all the presenters to say, so I kinda knew what was coming next.....haha writer's joke. The idea of the awards were we created funny categories and then had everyone vote on a winner......yeah fun.

So when Office Diva was announced and the nominations read, I knew I was on the nominations, all the women in the office were....and when Beyonce's Independent Woman played a nice little fade in and out clip before they announced the winner, I knew that too (I did that) but when they announced my name, the piece of chocolate covered banana I was eating got stuck in my throat. Brought tears to my eyes....you see I had just won Office Bitch, but Bitch wasn't a word we could say at my firm so it became Diva. My husband didn't look surprised which really bothers me, he doesn't work with me. My boss stands up and give the old woop woop thing, she is a hoot. So there I am with a little gold man on my desk, I have proof now that I'm the biggest Bitch I know, I've earned it. So I figure I'll keep the momentum going.

Afterwards we had that big ole room to ourselves and when we finally hit the hay, we each took a bed, like Fred and Wilma........

Next year our holiday party will be at Chuckie Cheese.........I swear.....