Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, December 22, 2007

You Can't Make This Sh*t Up

There are certain stories that happen that are just too good to be true, you can't make it up. Tonday was The Man's and my official anniversary, true we celebrate our one in August rather than the actual date, it's easier. Except since The Man came home with silver, as in a beautiful bracelet and matching earrings. This is the same man that bought me a handgun and conceal and carry license for our last anniversary. So it was a pretty big deal.

So I ran out today and picked him up something (as I was unprepared since we don't celebrate this anniversary) after mailing my Christmas packages (sorry, they'll be there the day AFTER Christmas everyone) Duchess and I swung by the local Tack/Cowboy store. We picked up an awesome shooters vest that makes The Man look very sexy and has room for all his ammo and cell phone and everything else he could ever want to carry. Plus, it makes him look very sexy....

However, the rest of our impromptu anniversary plans were dashed by a leaky garbage disposal. See the girls planned a whole day of family fun (movie and dinner and sledding) to celebrate Mommy and Daddy's big day. Big hearted little punks, notice how all the activities are something they love to do....but we did none...

Got up this morning to water pouring out under the sink and a nasty mold spot. Not good. So on his last day off this week, The Man has spent most of it under my kitchen sink. Cussing. So I've seen alot of his legs but not much of his face. The girls and I have preserved and managed to have a good day hanging out, staying out of his way. We vaccummed the stairs, that is fun!

Well after dinner we realized we needed a new disposal, so the two of us hopped in the truck and headed off to Lowes. The girls were happy to go to the basement and keep Mims company. Thank you Mims! I had plenty of time to stroll Lowes and found some cool stuff for the house, that I didn't buy, cause I'm a good girl. But finally we were ready to head back home to spend the rest of our evening putting in a disposal, notice I say we.....I'm so funny.

However, it's on the way that I remind The Man that I need Wiki...

See my office is closed now until after The New Year, so that all employees have the whole holiday season with their families. I love my job. But because it's a ghost town, they'll drop the temp and close up shop. So I had to bring Wiki home for the holidays.

Wiki is my adopted fish. When I got promoted at work, the only office space open was at the very back of the office, where it's very quiet and lonely. I love it! However, a guy at the office heard me joke about needing company and how I was gonna get a fish, and poof...the next day there was a bowl and food and a beta.

I named him Wikipedia (my latest obsession) or Wiki for short.

Turns out, I'm a sucker. This is the fish that will not die. This family has been trying to get rid of this fish for a year. Their kids were bored with it and sometimes went weeks without feeding it, the parents were sick of cleaning the bowl and the 3 year old played with it in the bathtub once. He still lives. Even though in a rare moment of cannibalism, he ate one of his own fins due to lack of food. He's funny looking but red and cute and I like him. He's my friend.

So I'm grown rather fond of this red fish. He has become an office attraction too. I never have peace and quiet at work now, cause people come to visit Wiki. And me, I'm loveable too. But he gets fed multiple times a day, cause everyone knows his story and feels bad for the little guy. The it was noticed that during the night, his water got too cold, so someone brought in a little lamp to go over his bowl which keeps him warm and happy. His own personal Bermuda.

So we pull up to my office building in the snow and let ourselves in to get the fish. I even brought a box and packing paper to ensure a safe transit. I'm alittle attached to my fish.

After ensuring that he was travel ready, The Man carried him out and we headed for the stairs.

One step away from the landing, The Man's wet jeans and his boots caused a minor mishap. He went down, holding the box with my precious Wiki....

However, rather than toss or drop or kick my fish out of the way to keep himself upright, he went to the mat with my fish in hand. Water sloshed and they landed with a thud but The Man was quick to ask if he'd made it? But the force of the landing propelled my fish up and into the air, where he wiggled in red blurry slow motion as he dropped to the side of the box.

Quick as can be, The Man scooped him up and plopped him back in his water. He saved Wiki.

Now, the walls of the hallway, the carpet and The Man are all covered in fish water and the box is now leaking.

After doing a spot check on my man and promising him a rub down for his bad knee, we managed to make it to the truck with no worries. Safely in the truck with Wiki between my feet, leaking fish water, we headed home in the snow and ice.

The Man stopped not once or twice but four times along the way to have me check on him.

It was about a mile from home and instead of suggesting that I throw my troublesome fish out the window, The Man casually suggested I swing into town and get him a better bowl.

Damned if this wasn't the best anniversary ever.....

Wiki says hi, pictures of the little man to come.