Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, October 8, 2011

The High Road

There are times when I struggle to take the high road! (Surprised much?) So when there are times/things when ten years ago I would have climbed somebody like a tree but now, I breathe and try really hard to wait until I get my anger under control before I act or speak. It's seriously the hardest thing I've ever done. I literally have to take my tongue out and wrap it around my head a couple times and stand on the tip. It can still be touch or go from there though.

But knowing that I'm the first and biggest example that my kids have and see on a daily basis, that reminds me to take the high road.

This week I took the high road and it wasn't easy.

The girls had a tournement this weekend. The first couple games were good but the last two were a diaster. Good Lord it was horrible. But we wrapped up the weekend with a fun family day and then Monday I got an email. The coaches sent an email via the team mom. A generic email to all the parents that as of that day the team was disbanded. No reasons were given and gossip was running rampid.

But regardless of the fact that they broke the hearts of a bunch of little girls and left the parents to break the news to them with no notice, my kids' first words about it when I sat her down after school that day was about the money "wasted" on all the gear and etc. That adorable kid of mine wasn't worried about her, but about taxing mom and dad. I adore this kid.

I was so angry. You do something like that to my kid and then nothing...... no explanation. They left my kid and the other kids thinking that what happen went something like this: you sucked the last day of the tournament, we had several big ole coaches meetings with the kids about how they needed to try something new training wise. Then went over each and every bad move, missed move and etc with each kid in a big ole circle. Then dissolved the team. So in my head, I'm thinking great you just told the kids that they played badly for two games and you're quitting them.

Not good form.

SO while alot of other players are looking at other teams and trying out for other teams, my kid wants to just play/practice till spring. Frankly, I think this is a great move. We'll practice with a local team that is above her age level so she can still challenge herself but we're off the tournements for awhile. We're all a little gun-shy around here now.

When sitting down and logically discussing this with her, getting her wants/wishes and thoughts on it all, she wanted to know WHY. Well since I couldn't tell her, I tried not to lie and what little I knew (not good for kiddos ears) I brushed over for my 12 year old. However, I was amazed to what this child mentally shake it off and tell me that it's cool mom, we'll take the high road.

:)