Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Monday, January 26, 2009

Why Me?

Murphy the Wonder Dog is my little cuddle ball of joy. Whenever I'm having a rotten day, or my biology teacher is driving me nuts, or the kids have gotten the flat screen tv stuck on a channel that doesn't work, or The Man has torn the garage up looking for something and I can't park my car in it or I even think about going to work.......he cheers me up. He jumps in my lap and I just snuggle right up.

Except Murphy has some strange habits.

1. He refuses to poop for a female. So when The Man isn't here, it takes FOREVER. However, if The Man takes him out, sniff sniff poop. For me, could take hours!

2. He loves to slid across any floor I've just mopped. Then he'll smell like floor cleaner, so I have to bath him, in my tub. Then I spend an hour scrubbing the tub. Then he wants to go outside and roll in snow.

3. At bedtime, he is SUPPOSE to sleep at the foot of the queen sized bed that The Man and I have shared since Princess was 6 months old. My big ole queen bed that has four huge comfy pillows, a to-die-for spread that I got two years ago on this awesome expensive bedding site and it was on clearance for 90 bucks........and two years later, that sucker still looks brand new! Where was I? Oh yeah, so Murphy hits the bed and promptly goes to lay his head on whoever's pillow is not occupied. So then we end up shoving him down to the bottom of the bed, usually with The Man singing "Oh Murphy dog, your butt your butt is furry". Except as soon as the lights are out....he starts moving. Slinking up the bed to drop all 20 lbs of himself either between my knees or on my butt or whereever he can find enough room to stake his claim. The dog that weights 20 lbs and is lovable and sweet and little and cute......manages to toss and turn for at least an hour before he is comfy and starts to snore. And each time he changes spots, he drops his entire self down like he has walked 15 miles uphill in the snow and can't drag himself another step. He shakes the entire bed. And we rinse and repeat......all night long.

4. He can't stand it if you go to the bathroom and shut the door. He whines and sticks his paws under the door until you come out. He will howl if you're in there long enough.

5. When I'm soaking in the tub, he enjoys watching him lay there and read. Every once in a while, he tilts his head and blinks but not often. I think he goes into a trance. As often as I bathe I'm not sure this is good for him.

6. On the few days we put him in his portable "room", I can hear him crying as I pull around the block. My poor neighbors.

7. Since we've owned him, he's eatten alot of our things. Puppies, whatcha gonna do? He's ate a cookbook (italian! yum), half of a very expensive leather The Man boot, several pairs of heels, a pair of tennis shoes, alot of pet shop animals that he steals from Duchess' room, a set of headphones, the cord to a heater (thankfully not plugged in), a hair dryer (again, not plugged in) and this is depressing but there is actually more. However, lately he's curbed his chewing habit so you can imagine my surprise when he brought me my reading glasses the other day. The ear pieces, gone to stubble, a len missing, the other lens had cute little doggie teeth print in them. He brought it to me like "Hey look what I found!"..........damn dog

8. I adore him and can't stand myself but I actually baby talk this little dog.

I'm a goner and it doesn't help that this morning when the children wouldn't get up and start getting ready for school, that Murphy just couldn't take mommy yelling at them anymore.

He went into each of their rooms and barked the house down, pulling covers off them until Princess drug herself out of bed.

That's mommy's good boy.