Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hindsight = 20/20

I love my house. But I'm a realist. So I have no problem admitting the things with it that I don't like. Therefore what better place to put and keep my list of things I want for my next house.

Here.

1. Proper ventilation in kitchen: our vent fan, vents toward the ceiling. So that breakfast sausage I made for everyone earlier, still lingers. Stinks! Stove must vent through ceiling out of house. WTF were they thinking?

2. Larger bathroom for children. Although the kids are only 10 & 6, they already fight over the tiny teeny little bathroom sink area. Shelving would be nice in there too, for bath toys and such.

3. Two family rooms. People, after having separate areas for kids/adult movies, you can't go back. I'm so sick of Camp Rock, you have no clue. I caught myself singing that crap in the shower!

4. Proper mudroom/garage entry way. Our garage enters straight into the dining room. What was I thinking? I need room for shoes, boots, coats and backpacks. A separate little mudroom would work.

5. Bigger kids bedrooms. Yes my room is large enough for an entire tribe in some countries but the girls, well they are seriously small. Wall to wall toys leaving little room for actual play. Learn lesson!

6. Bigger yard: Yes yards here in Utah are very small, we have a corner lot of at .16 that is big but hello.......no. Need more room for shed for hubs' crap. Room for a tramp and swingset. Need trees. Buying new in a new development, no trees. No shade, no NOT seeing all your neighbors. Trees peeps are highly underrated!

Now: things I do love, and will try like hell to find in another house.

1. Great room: vaulted ceilings, graceful lines. Great echos and very warm feeling.

2. My bathroom: a bathroom for a queen, in this case: me! Big ole jet tub, standing huge shower, although I would rather have the potty enclosed, the closet is rocking too. Nice big ole closet.

3. Double laundry room: Maybe cause it's Utah, you know where the actual family has 5 or more kids (I'm not kidding, go to a HOA or PTA meeting and see) but our house has a double laundry room. Full in basement, and stackable laundry in my closet. Sweet

4. 2 story garage: love that, although we haven't built the loft we need yet, soon peeps soon, there is room for a loft up there for out of season stuff. Hello.

5. Island: first kitchen with a full island, a cook's dream!

6. Wrought iron staircase: leading out of the great room downstairs to the lower level. Lovely, just striking really. Especially with Christmas garland draped all around.

So there are things to keep in mind for my next house!

Whereever that may be: