Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Sunday, May 20, 2007

Never Again Mommy, Never Again

Recently my wonderful, photo-elusive step-dad and my mom were home with Duchess. While preparing dinner, he volunteered to allow Duchess to share in the joy that is home cooking. They made biscuits from scratch as well as fried eggplant (did I mention we're country people?).
Here is Duchess carefully coating the eggplant before he fried them. This takes skill people, not to mention she swept up the mess she made on the floor, that takes guts! Cornmeal on a wood floor sucks!

Here she is carefully filling the measuring cup with flour. As the photo-elusive step-dad (hee hee, what he doesn't know what hurt him) is captured by Mimi as he patiently allows Duchess to assist. Also not saying a word when she coated the entire front of him with flour....

The simple joy of the overall experience brought forth conversation all evening:
  • Mom, I need my very own cookbook (said while piggy tails were flopping as she bounced in place)
  • Daddy, I'm a big girl now and I cook so mommy never has to cook, ever ever again (I am fond of this promise, I have it on video, three times)
  • This biscuit is for you daddy, I only dropped it three times

I love that my kids are learning the good tradition value of artery blocking, cholesterol raising deep fried Southern goodness that is cooking from scratch.

Next up: grits and brown eye gravy