Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sniper Training

Now that the snow is gone and we are finally seeing some days with decent temps, it's time to shoot. It was a busy day. We were all up and running in different directions this morning. Duchess was at a friends house but since it's in the neighborhood they bounce back and forth so I just leave my door wide open. Princess had to be at the track meet at 830. Dave had to leave for work at 830. Murphy and me went through the house and did some chores then I went for a two mile hike/walk. I made it home just in time to take kids lunch and grab a shower before Dave came home and captured me. Just the two of us loaded up and headed out for some shooting.

While I love love love to shoot, we've been working with the kids on shooting clays. Both of the girls got shotguns for Christmas, 20 gauges. We've spent some time just letting them shoot targets to get the feel of their guns. Now that we have progressed to clays, it'll be awhile before they get the hang of it but that's more fun for all of us. Dave and I did the math and the last time I have shot clays was when we were dating.

Long story short.... when we were dating the guys all got together at somebody's land to shoot clays and Dave brought me along. I actually brought a book to read but got handed a shotgun at one point nad turns out I'm a decent shot with clays, lol. So now back to today...

Still sore from our last clay outing, we decided to just take our rifles today and one of his pistols. I really like my new toy. I'm way better with a rifle or a gun with a good peep sight then I am with a pistol. Mainly because up until this point, I have been trained with handguns to point shoot. I point shoot accurately however I can not target shoot with a handgun for nothing. So handguns for me are to protect and kill. This might explain why I simply adore my 22 rifle I got for Christmas. Although Dave just handed over his Savage 223 bolt to me. So today was all about getting my new scope dialed in and accurate. It was super windy but a box of bullets later and I was sad that I was out. We put up some metal flip targets at 50 and I had them babies singing in the wind. Love love love that gun. Loud but no kick. My only problem is that it's heavy for me. I have little ole arms (not quite t-rex arms though) so I have to shoot prone or sitting. Which got me to thinking.... I gotta practice more so I can get that baby up to 500. Then I can be a real sniper. Woot woot......

Until then, just gonna join Dave on his preditor hunts.