Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Thursday, August 30, 2012

I survived a four mile hike

So this past weekend my sweet husband decided to take the entire family hiking. It seems only right since our new town has an amazing range of mountains that start at the very edge of town. Literally three miles from my front door! So we decided to make our grocery run to the wally world two hours away and then head into the mountains for a family hike. There are three dedicated, mapped out hike trails so we were aiming for one that day.

Except, we got to wally world and my husband digressed into his military training. I managed to shop for a new kitchen aid mixer and all groceries while he was stuck in the sporting goods section. He cracks me up.

I wasn't laughing though when I got home and he started seperating his "stuff" from the house stuff. I paused. Cause my man was digging out backpacks, yes we each got individual light weight hiking packs. He filled each pack: 6 water bottles, toliet paper, wet wipes (OMG), granola, protein bars, and a knife..... finishing it off with a walkie talkie radio. He set aside the tent and stove cause we are obviously not ready for those.......

We got there and had a great first hike. We went for a mile on a great canyon hike that was fun yet a little challenging at some spots. We drank our waters and pointed out sink holes, fox holes, and lots of cool rock formations. It was sooooo purty up there.

Until we got cocky and decided to finish that one and go for another one. Except the next one was an insane 3 mile hike that started at the top and went down into a deep, sharp canyon. It was a wild climb down and frankly when we got to the bottom and realized that we had to turn around and go right back the way we came to get out. We weren't laughing about the toliet paper by that point.... and I'm proud to say it wasn't me who peed on her shoe this time!!!! GO me!!!!!!!!

All in all, by the time we got back to my truck, we literally passed out with wobbly legs and thankful prayers that the Lord dragged our butts back up the mountain before said legs gave out! We are very very blessed.

We are all together.

We are seeing parts of the US that others won't ever see.

My kids are experiencing so many new things, learning to adapt through any situation and location.

We are all together, all the time!

God is good.