Southern girl plowing her way through life making the rules up as she goes. Warning: likes to bake, curse, quote movies/literature, is tattooed, married to The Man and mother of two girls. We bring new meaning to the "griswald way of life". Come along for the ride!



Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Blogging my hysterectomy...

So I decided that blogging my hysterectomy might be fun.......cause fun is something I'm running really short on. So I'll back up and run you through.

Day 1 began Monday: bright and early. We got the kiddo's to school and then Dave and I headed downtown to the hospital. Traffic was light so we had time to kill......thus when my daddy called from his hunting camp to check on me, I was at the bookstore, he was not amused.

Other than childbirth and a corrective leg surgery when I was 12 (hello, that is why I'm the shortest peep in the family basket) so I wasn't too sure what to expect when I got to the hospital. And for once I got really really quiet. It's not a good sign when I get quiet.

But on the surgery floor, I had a lovely volunteer named Bob who took me to a room, explained all the equipment in the room such as the tv and the way the bed operates and then left me with a bag for my clothes. He also left me with my very tense and quiet husband and my equally tense but talkative mommy (we all handle tension differently don't we?). You can imagine my surprise when my hospital bathroom looked every bit the airline bathroom, but then I got my gown on and discovered that hospital gowns have come a long way, mine had a hookup that looked like you could plug a car battery into it. Except you can hook up a heater or an a/c vent into the gown. Sweet. Except, they didn't hook me up.

Instead they came in and hooked me up with lots and lots of pokes. So I got more blood drawn. By a sweet little CMA in a patterned scrub. She made the point of telling us that she was trying to branch out her wardrobe with some patterns. Then she left and the minion of satan showed up. Turns out I had to have a shot to thin my blood for the surgery. So that evil bitchmonger of a nurse gave it to me in my stomach. That hurt like the seventh circle of hell! Poor Dave was clenching and unclenching his fist, I was really hoping he would punch her upside her head. No such luck though. But then they came to wheel me away.

So my little parade went up the elevator and once at the lobby, we left mom and Dave in the waiting room and they took me into pre-op. I got my own semi-private cubie where I got my IV and then met with my new best friend, my drug doctor. After going through that, they put my very very sexy compression boots on and since we were running late and my doc was waiting on me in the operating room, rushed me through the hallway.

The operating room wasn't as sci-fi as I thought it would be. A little disappointing........ but I tried not to focus on the stuff littering that room, scary!!!! But once they put me on the operating table, they started securing my arms down, I got a little scared. Then boom, nothing.

Sneaky little drug man caught me when I wasn't paying attention and zapped me.

Next thing I know, this really really old lady was in my face calling my name........even sleeping beauty had to wake up sometime....

Next up: Recovery